From:
Dick Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2007 10:03:40 -0400
Correction to Allen Dick's posting

First some background:
I am a consulting entomologist and my firm, Wildwood Labs Inc, works on
bioscience projects to "support efforts to balance nature and technology".
Honey bee research is an area of interest and we have been trying very hard
to contribute to the body of knowledge on bee health for the benefit of all.
 See partial list of projects below.

	•	PEI clover study
	•	Maritime Canada Bee Health survey
	•	Development of virus diagnosis capability in Maritime Canada and a trial
survey (AAFC)
	•	Canola residue study
	•	Hive residues survey
	•	Brood effects method development study: Phase 1
	•	Brood effects method development study: Phase 2
	•	Colony condition assessment & survival prediction analysis (CCA/SPA):
Research, development, and implementation
	•	International Apis Health Assessment Committee (member and active
participant) -> Report published in the Italian journal APOidea 3:3-6, 2006;
Report in English finished, publication pending
	•	PhD thesis in progress (Wageningen University, The Netherlands) -> Title:
Investigations of the multiple factors affecting bee health (English) /
Onderzoeken van de multi-Factoren die de Gezondheid van de Bij van de Honing
beïnvloeden (Dutch)
	•	Evaluation of Fumagilin-B® for fall control of the microsporidian Nosema
spp. in honey bee (Apis mellifera) colonies in Nova Scotia, Canada. (A 2007
collaboration between Acadia University & Wildwood Labs Inc)
	•	Development of practical ways to estimate levels of deformed wing virus
in honey bee colonies based on visible wing deformities and the parasitic
mite Varroa destructor. (Another 2007 collaboration between Acadia
University & Wildwood Labs Inc) -> We will test for relationships among
molecularly quantified deformed wing virus (DWV), degree (determined using
an ocular micrometer) and prevalence (determined using underbasket dead-bee
traps) of wing deformity, and levels of Varroa destructor, to determine if
beekeepers can use these explanatory variables to quantify DWV.

Now the correction:
Unfortunately, Allen Dick appears to be trying to discredit some of our work
and has provided a one-word "quote" that he feels is "enough said".  I
provide the following facts to correct his misrepresentation.

The PEI clover study did include spiked samples, however, they were
lab-spiked, not field-spiked.  Spiking samples in the lab is a normal,
accepted procedure that proved the validity of the analytical method.  Also,
all analyses were performed under strict GLP guidelines.  All samples
collected in the field were immediately placed on dry-ice.  Back in the lab,
the samples from the field were stored in a locked lab freezer and when it
came time to ship the samples to the analytical lab, the samples were
packaged with dry-ice and shipped by overnight courier.  All samples arrived
still frozen.  There is ample evidence showing the stability of the samples
under these conditions of storage and length of time from collection to date
of analysis.  Therefore,  there is no reason to suspect the analytical
findings are invalid, and every reason to accept them as valid.

Want to hear more:
I do many presentations every year on bee health related topics.  If there
are beekeepers who would like to hear more about any of the projects I have
mentioned above, please contact me to discuss speaking engagement
arrangements for your next meeting.