ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Wurtak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:59:25 -0600

We hold robot-building workshops throughout the year for school classes, boy
scouts, girl guides, etc, using kits that we assemble (to keep costs down).
Commercial kits can be very expensive, especially if each student is to have
one. We have several robot kits using tethers and one kit is autonomous. The
beginner one (RoboCritter) is targetted at grades 3 to 6.  The SumoBot and
MiniMax are targetted at grades 6 to 10 (or higher).  The simpler ones do
not use gear boxes.  The older kids assemble their own controllers as well
as the gear boxes, which introduces some variables (speed vs. torque).
There are tracked and wheeled versions of some of the robots.

Early versions of these robots have been used on the exhibit floor and are
highly engaging (playing robot soccer, for example).  These are also entered
into our annual Robot Games competition.

For more information, please contact me directly:

George Wurtak
Science Council of Manitoba