ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Wilson, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:48:15 -0500

Hi Tracy
We've been using NPS as a part of our regular customer feedback for a couple of years now and have found it to be very useful.  We don't look at the numbers as goals but as indicators.  We also apply the same 10-point scale to a variety of factors beyond the "Would you recommend" question.

Since we see them as a tool rather than a goal we can also use them quasi-experimentally.  For example, we're looking at the role of entertainment as a part of the visitor experience.
*	After taking data for a year or so we had enough numbers to know that that value was a significant influence on the "Would you Recommend" number.
*	We set as a goal to raise that number.  We added a program that had a mission-related component that we felt would also have a high entertainment value.
*	After 6 months we compared our ratings to the comparable period the previous year and found the percent who gave us a 9 or 10 on the entertainment ratings went up enough among those who participated in this program that the overall percentage went up as well.
*	In addition, there was, as we predicted, a slight increase in the percent of people who rated us a 9 or 10 on the "Would you recommend" question as well

There is battle of sorts going on over NPS right now, with IPSOS, another research company, saying the research behind NPS is flawed.  Should be an interesting debate!

If anybody is coming to AAM here in Chicago in a few weeks maybe we could get together and compare notes?
Linda Wilson
Director, Audience Research and Evaluation
John G. Shedd Aquarium
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
[log in to unmask] PH (312) 692 3261 FAX (312) 939-8677
If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints, possibility never. Kierkegaard