From:
Peter Hurwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:31:39 -0700
Some of you may remember that I posted to the list a while back for
reccomendations of Pergolesi's Stabat Mater.  I had two at the time- the
Raksin/Lehane Carracciolo and the Roschmann/Robbin Labadie both of which
dissatisfied me.  I found the first too operatic in the singing and the
second a bit brisk and sung without enough feeling.  Well, I think I've
found the perfect one at least for me- the Bonney/Scholl Rousset.  Bonney
is in terrific voice which is saying a lot and Scholl is just amazing,
certainly the most beautiful countertenor singing I've ever heard.  Above
all it's the blend of the voices that makes the piece and here it's just
sublime.  Also I like that it's HIP yet very expressive in both the
singing and the conducting in other words the best of HIP.  So I am happy
especially since I also found two more volumes of the King's Consort
Purcell Odes and Welcome Songs at the used CD store here in Ann Arbor.
These are also wonderful especially the Ode for Queen Mary's Birt hday-
Love's Goddess Sure Was Blind.  But they are all exceptional music and
beautifully played and sung.

Peter Herwitz