Date:
Sat, 19 May 2007 16:27:31 EDT
My sister and her husband live in Berlin, Germany.  She sent  me a snippet of
the following article which really looks  excellent:

The SPD Minister (a woman) is saying  that there is a huge problem with
violence, fat kids and psychological problems  in German families.  Interestingly
enough, at the end of the article, they trace the problem to lack of
breastfeeding!!   Here’s the  website, in case you want to use the information in any
way.  It is from Focus Magazine, which is a  huge news weekly in Germany, very
respected.
http://www.focus.de/schule/gesundheit/gesundheit/deutsche-kinder_aid_56526.html
Here’s what the upshot of the last  paragraph says:
The problems are particularly evident in  low-income families, so the SPD is
trying to strengthen the preventative  measures, particularly using midwives.
In problem areas of the city, the  midwives are to visit young families and
offer help with how to have healthy  lifestyles, for example by pushing
breastfeeding and going for well-baby  check-ups.  43.3 % of mothers from  high
social status families breastfeed at least 6 months according to WHO
recommendations.  Only 31.4 % of  low-income moms do this.  Particularly mothers who smoke
show very little willingness to  breastfeed.  In Sweden and Norway  the
mothers breastfeed much longer, which is just as good for the moms as for  the
babies.  Minister Schmidt says  that this is not emphasized nearly enough at
birthing centers in  Germany.

That was Lyn's translation for me -- I've given the URL for the  whole
article which one of our German speaking Lactnetters may be able to read  and
translate for the rest of us -- unless you think Lyn's translation actually  covers
the whole thing pretty well.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
_Lactation Education  Consultants_
(http://www.lactationeducationconsultants.com/)