From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 09:43:45 -0500
Jerry Bromenshenk wrote:

> Maybe the list can help out here -- to the best of our knowledge, honeydew
> may be a poor nutrient, but isn't toxic.   There's a complex set of  issues,
> including microbes in the gut, that all interplay and  may eventually kill bees.

The Hive and the Honeybee has a couple of sections about honeydew, as
well as references. I did a bit of searching about honeydew in the past
because my bees suffered from it as an overwinter feed. I agree that
honeydew is an unlikely cause of the problem, but it can be toxic to
bees. It depends on the honeydew. There are lots of honeydews and but
only a few are toxic. It mostly has to do with the minerals in the
honeydew, which means the minerals collected by the insect and processed
into honeydew and collected by the bees. There is a lot of good science
on honeydew and honeydew honeys. One thing to remember is that the bees
are not collecting simple sugars processed by plants, but have an
intermediate insect processor with all their added enzymes. Honeydew is
a very interesting and complex sugar source for bees.

> But, at least in CA, the bees collapse rather slowly, over the winter,  when
> they are living on a high enough percentage of honeydew in their stored  food.

This was exactly the symptoms my bees "enjoyed" because of honeydew. My
conjecture (since I do not remember if I read this in relation to
honeydew) is they suffer because of the high water content of the
honeydew and that it does granulate, but not completely. So you can have
a transition phase where you have fermentation of the sugars and that is
what harms the bees. This fermentation process  is well known as a
problem for overwintered bees and partially granulated honey.
> Based on the reports that we have, the yards that we visited, the colony
> collapse is rapid - 2 to 3 weeks or less.

Toxic honeydew is plant/insect specific, so you would have this problem
all the time in certain areas and not universally.

In my experience, honeydew is a gradual killer, not a quick one. So I
agree with you that it is not honeydew, no matter how bad honeydew may
be for overwintering. It is also true that it is probably part of the
problem in California, since honeydew is a terrible overwintering honey.

As an aside, it is a great flavored honey and prized in many areas where
it is found. I harvest some every fall.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine