From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 18:52:51 -0500
On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 21:54:21 -0500, Irwin Harlton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> When the US border closed in 1986 to package bees things changed, but we
>canucks have every disease and pest the US beekeepers have, but we don't
>have any African bees, big deal,the border closure bought us time but made
>us very inefficent.Wintering costs more than package bees.

so you have lots of small hive beetles in Canada ? Eh? and TM resistant AFB?

I live in central Mn and the cost to winter a hive is about $7 in materials, fuel & labor to wrap and
about $12 to feed for corn syrup, labor and fuel (assuming an employee cost of $15/hr).  Packages
cost $44.00 delivered from California.

I have never understood the big deal about wintering. Typically with a 20% loss over winter, 50% or
more of the hives can be split out in spring. Assuming you buy a $15 queen and weather is good you
have 2 producing hives.

Help me with the math please.....

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:                                       *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm                               *