HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Branstner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:50:17 -0600
Hi all,

Just a random thought ...

Having grown up in the 1950s and early 1960s, either in a small
northern Michigan town or visiting my grandparents in the country, I
have been exposed to material culture and lifeways that certainly
extend well back into the latter half the 19th century ...  The poor
kids had outhouses, still trapped for spending money, and horses were
still seen in at least limited use on local farms.

There was certain continuity between the past and the present that
was predictable and understandable.

On the other hand, some of the younger members of our fraternity, who
were born roughly coincident with the arrival of the personal
computer, are at a total disconnect with much of the material culture
that many of us take for granted ...  Although at 56, I really don't
feel like an "old timer," the increasingly rapid disconnect between
the past and the present is, at best, disconcerting.

So, when one of our younger number presents what to them is a
"perplexing artifact," I promise to check my initial reaction (shock,
smugness) and do my best to responsibly reply with the "vast" store
of knowledge that I apparently retain in my short-term memory :-) ,
when appropriate.

Geezerly yours,

Mark

--

Mark C. Branstner, RPA
Historic Archaeologist

Illinois Transportation
Archaeological Research Program
209 Nuclear Physics Lab, MC-571
23 East Stadium Drive
Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: 217.244.0892
Fax: 217.244.7458
Cell: 517.927.4556

"I hope there's pudding" - Luna Lovegood (HP5)