HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 04:47:54 EDT

In a message dated 9/12/2007 1:20:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

remember  years ago when visiting Europe that many of the people I
met  (especially from the East) were convinced that all Americans
lived  on huge ranches (like the Cartwrights of Bonanza), ran herds of
cattle, wore six-guns, and rubbed elbows with Indians. Their  exposure
to Americans was limited to TV and movie westerns. I  shudder to think
what they think of us now if most of their exposure  continues to be
via Hollywood.

There is an organization out here in the Far Southwest called The  Westerners
and there is a branch in Germany, so I have been told. I have seen  photos of
those Germans dressed in Sioux Indian costumes and sitting by their  tipis.

Then again, there is a reenactor group here in the United States that owns
land and recreates the World War I battlefields with sandbagged trenches full
of  water, artificial rain, and live explosions and then the soldiers wear the
actual combat uniforms of the German, French or American armies and spend
days  down in those trenches shooting blanks at each other, blowing whistles and
sending communications.

Who can say which nation is more crazy?

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.