HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2007 22:40:25 -0400
Though in the 20th century I thought I'd add that some buildings are
sold off from Federal property apparently. One in Setauket, NY was
transported from the former Camp Upton, Yaphank ("Yip, yip, Yaphank"
the Irving Berlin WWI song, film records troops practicing with
brooms, no weapons supplied) today the site of the Brookhaven National
Laboratory. I'm not sure if it was a barracks or other building from
the times. It's sort of behind the Captain Brewster Hawkins House, the
shipbuilder of record of "Wanderer" the "last slaver" though not its
owner when involved in the British blockade running off of Africa
there though reported boarded by the British Navy. I was told a half
dozen or so were auctioned off?

It's on Hawkins Ave., off the Shore Road (which Captain Brewster
Hawkins had to make wide enough for two carriages to pass in order to
build a dock according to the Town of Brookhaven records), in the Town
of Brookhaven Historic District in East Setauket (one of the first
town designations I believe, nearby Stony Brook village preservation
"defended" by shoe heir Ward Melville, Jr. in the early 1960s before
the American Philosophical Society in Philadelphia, founded by
Benjamin Franklin). It is or was the fourth house in on south side of
the "dead end"?

George Myers