HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Dent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 14:07:21 -0700
on 8/6/07 9:54 AM, Carol Serr at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> That's a possibility...since there IS a rail line near by the property.
> I was wondering why there are so many (8) railroad spikes in a domestic
> household dump....and speculated they were "goodies" one of the kids
> collected (but then his mom made him throw them out?; or he grew up and
> did away with his boyhood collections?).
>
> Of course, they could have been pulled out of recycled ties used around
> the property...I suppose.
>
> And, if readers are curious to know if there are many toys in the
> collection...um, not really.  A China 'pet name' doll head and a bisgue
> doll torso frag is all...that I can remember right now.  There is a
> harmonica reedplate also, but an adult could play one of those.  The
> youngest of the 5 children was a son...

In regard to railroad spikes, people (kids and no longer so....) just seem
to want to pick them up and bring them home.  I have 15 to 20 in a pile
under my front porch at this moment.  All have been picked up by visitors
walking the nearby railroad tracks.  They all return with a look as if they
have found a unique artifact -- one that I probably desperately need.  And
out of respect under the porch they go....  Some are occasionally employed
to weigh something down, and I remember flinging one or two at marauding
groundhogs in the garden.  Anyway, it doesn't take a kid.  I have also seen
rail fans with very large collections of spikes, often labeled as to
railroad of origin.  They make a nice portable souvenir, and I think we
often fail to appreciate the place of railroads in the hearts of many in
older generations.

Joe Dent
America Unv.