HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kent Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 10:02:33 -0800
David,

Years ago I was involved in the excavations of a plantation site in South Carolina called Millwood.  One of the "features" that I worked on was a horizontal water wheel for a grist mill.  As I recall, the style of the wheel was somewhat unique and I believe that the Smithsonian was very interested in it. You might want to get a hold of the Millwood Plantation site report (which may be maintained at Loyola U. of Chicago) or contact Charles E. Orser who directed the excavations.

Kent Taylor

David Parkhill <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Being new to HISTARCH I am impressed with the amount of and diversity
of knowledge among the membership. Please allow me to jump into the
waters of knowledge to locate possible information.

I have been working on a historic Grist Mill (corn grinding) site for
about seven years now. I have never found an accurate drawing of an
overshot waterwheel showing all the working components. At one point
in time the mill was converted into a horizontal water wheel. I have
several blades from the horizontal wheel which seems to indicate it
was an enclosed wheel. No proof!! Date of the mill is 1835-38.

I hope someone in the membership can guide me to a reference book,
paper or something to help me understand the workings of this type of
mill.All guidance will be appreciated.

Kent C. Taylor, M.A., RPA
Project Archaeologist
Commonwealth Cultural Resources Group, Inc.
Phone (248) 362-3038
Fax (248) 362-3038
E-Mail [log in to unmask]

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.