HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:26:28 -0400
From:
JAMES MURPHY <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
In Ohio, the "grey literature" for the most part is not regarded as public documents.  A SHPO employee has written "... these technical reports are not available to the general public... these reports are not meant or written for the general public.  They are technical reports written and largely paid for by private industry, and reviewed by government agencies with jurisdiction over a project."  The reports "are available to those who have a legitimate need for the information they contain."

While I do not know of anyone who has been refused access to a report, this "need-to-know" criterion has created considerable antagonism among the non-professional archaeological community.

In 1985 I compiled a bibliography of Ohio contract archaeology for the Ohio SHPO but that is no longer available and has never been updated.  Instead, there has been development of a very useful on-line site database, but it is subscription-only and at this point is limited to academics and CRM workers.  There is much talk about "public outreach" but for the general public this has largely been limited to non-professionals providing volunteer labor and site information.  Except for a few stray reports that have found their way into public libraries, I do not know of any public bibliographic access(other than the NADB database, which is not current and is not familiar to the general public).

Jim Murphy