From:
Lisa Boisvert Mackenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 08:48:11 -0500
This is not new. Even without the image, it is confusing for people to
understand the difference between all these different types of processed
milk, dry milk, powered milk, condensed milk, sweetened condensed mmilk,
baby milk not from a breast.

Think about it, adults who do not drink milk, refer to milk from a cow as
fresh milk and all processed milks well they are more or less the same. It
is a conceptual alien. Packaged and processed foods are relatively new in
many cultures and if one candy bar has chocolate as does another, well, they
are the same. Similar with soda, soda is soda, right?

If you travel to poor, less developed places, you will see very young
children with bottles of soda, sweetened condensed milk, powered milk, all
sorts of nutritionally void liquids in the bottle.

It seems to me, to be a situation in which one culture with packaged
products has thrust them upon another without the ability to evolve into it.

Does this make sense?

Here is an example with packaging.....

Bananas, mangos, pineapple, clams and fish come with their own Mother Nature
packaging, a skin or shell. You throw it on the ground in a hot, wet,
tropical climate and sheeting composting occurs, it rots.

Well, now the store has soda and Ring Dings, all sorts of foods wrapped in a
skin or shell, so you throw it on the ground. What happens? ....yup, it
stays and clogs and chokes and pollutes.

We have exported goods that bring much more than what is in the container.

Poor women need to know that anything other than breast milk means death to
their children.

But how do we, westerners, even the poorest of us, rich by world standards,
tell peasants, poor, uneducated people, that they CANNOT HAVE the goods we
enjoy and produce. Who are we to tell them?

Off my soapbox.

It is complicated.

Lisa Boisvert Mackenzie

PS I do agree we need to tell Nestle to stop, yes.