From:
MS PAULA B TRIPP <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"LACTNET" discussion list
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 1995 01:14:07 EST
Hi, Thanks for letting me know, although I don't know what I
can do.  Any ideas?  Actually, I've had different ways of
getting your messages, Melissa.  Sometimes they have >in
front of every line, sometimes there are spaces between each
line for awhile, and then it is done right, and this time I
wonder if I missed something.  You said, "Am I missing
anything? (specifically notes.  Many days I suspect I am
missing brain matter. . ." Either you or I are missing that
brain matter, or something is missing before (specifically
notes - I don't get it!

I've had one really disgusting pump, and the adapter case
was missing, plus the pump case was full of other assorted
junk.  I picked it up from the husband, opened it and said
"Wow, this thing is really dirty!"  Then I noticed the case
was missing and so put the $20 deposit back in my pocket and
told him I'd give it to him when they found the case and
returned it.  That was months ago.  That one made me decide
that I had to start giving more explicit written
instructions about returing a clean pump or else, although I
know it says something on the back of the yellow page.  Of
course I haven't got to that yet.  I won't go without
the deposit, though.  People want that $20 back so they'll
bring it back when they're done,rather than let it sit
around and bring it back late and not pay for extra days
they've had it out.  Without the deposit, I could really see
that happening.  Of course if theywant to steal it, the 20
is a bargain.  One customertold me that a doctor'soffice
charges 100 for a deposit now after losing one.  I figure
that is what the loss waiver fee is for.

I have no substations officially, although my partner has
been one for months now, really, until we are set up.  I am
waiting for the papers to get everything turned over to the
business from me.  I don't see substations here.  We have
our office, and each of our three homes and that covers
quite a space, plus everybody expects to come to Portland
for stuff anyway, and there are pumps available outside our
working area.

Did you see the ILCA Globe?  What about the conflict of
interest with selling?  I cannot count the times I have
counselled women NOT to buy something they don't need.  A
doctor brought this up to us also, as a potential conflict
that others may perceive.  Who else is going to rent and
sell?  The pharmacy that rents a pump and tells the mother
to go to the hardware store and get a certain piece of
tubing to go with it?  This really happened, and the mother
suffered for a long time with a bf problem, which directly
affected her ability to fix the problem, until finally she
found my partner and got set up properly.  Should I refer to
a new doula service in town that advertises that they are
studying to become IBCLCs and makes it seem like they
already are?  One has amaster's in marketing andtheother is
a psychiatric nurse - no bf experience until recent months.
In my opinion the only people selling and renting bf
equipment are the people who know how to use it and are able
to work with the mother from start to finish.  Let's hear it
for the assumption of a little integrity, although we all
know there are people everywhere in every profession who
abuse their position.    Melissa, did I just get on a
soapbox?

Paula

-------FORWARD, Original message follows-------

FROM: