From:
Veronica Tingzon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:42:29 -0400
I couldn't agree more with Emily! Here's one thought I have, though....

I think I remember reading on Lactnet a few weeks ago that pathway F is
returning in 2008. I was elated when I saw that. To me, that meant that,
once again, we, the non RN, non-degreed, non licensed IBCLC would be
allowed to be viewed as a stand alone professional. So, in light of this
discssion on whether or not our profession is viewed as an addendum to an
already "established" profession like nursing or medicine, etc..., why bother
bringing pathway F back? Isn't pathway F designed for those of us who are
non-medical to begin with to be allowed a chance at working in the profession
we so love? Furthermore, is this a plot to say to those who want to become
IBCLCs but have no other "legs" to stand on that "Sure, you can pay all this
money and take the test, but then you won't be able to do a darn thing with
it."?

I am lucky. I have fought hard to get a job as an LC in a hospital, but I am
called a lactation educator- as I am not an RN. A way to be paid less, I guess.
I have no problem with this for now. I am still just starting out on my journey
as a LC. I am, however, very saddened that my credentials are viewed as
substandard just because I don't have that RN. I am forced to play the game,
and pursuing a degree I really don't want, in order to be viewed as a valuable
LC.

I have seen many RN IBCLC or RN CLC that have "missed" very crucial
components to the breast feeding situation. I have been the one who has
discovered a baby's tight frenulum after the dyad has been seen 2 or 3 times
prior by an RN LC. I have been the one to tell a mom about an SNS when she
had low milk supply and nothing else was working to get her baby's billirubin up
after being seen by an RN LC. I have been the one to have mom try to BF
after a breast reduction when an RN IBCLC told her she shouldn't bother
because she won't make milk. BTW, that mom's baby is gaining 9 oz. per
week.

I feel I received really stellar training from Gini Baker at the UCSD CLC course.
Sure, there are other programs out there that may not be as good, but the
proof should be in the pudding. Actions should speak louder than initials, folks.

Veronica Tingzon
Oceanside CA