From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:42:12 -0500
I could be very cynical and say "follow the money." Who is funding
the research?
That will tell us a lot about how the research question is framed.

But I think the problem is more fundamental. In our culture, birth is
viewed as
pathological. Sometimes I think breastfeeding is seen that way too.
Until we have
an idea of what normal looks like in both birth and breastfeeding, it
will be hard
to do meaningful research on what is and is not pathological. We
don't even know
what a control group looks like.

I'm sure we're not alone in this. What other areas of research are
facing this
problem now? How is it being addressed there?

Naomi Bar-Yam

On Jan 31, 2007, at 1:45 PM, LACTNET automatic digest system wrote:

> Maybe these tiny brain hemorrhages are part of
> normal, maybe they are what helps get the brain going in the out of
> uterus environment where it will spend the rest of its life...
> Maybe these
> tiny hemorrhages are not only not harmful, maybe
> they are beneficial.

> I found myself asking the very same questions!!  I ask myself the same
> questions about other things such as jaundice and intermittent
> hypoglycemia.  I also found myself wondering why others aren't
> asking these
> questions or approaching studies with these ideas in mind.
> Interesting.

Naomi Bar-Yam Ph.D.
Mothers' Milk Bank of New England

617-964-6676