ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Reagan Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:08:40 -0400

As an alternative, consider a good quality surveillance camera (we use
Pelco elite) and a monitor or two.
One advantage of a "TV telescope" is that several visitors can observe
and comment on the same viewing scene.
You can also capture images to files or record video images.  The
difficult thing is finding and "siting" the monitor.  For outdoor use
you really need something that will produce a brightness of 1000 or so
NITS.  Indoor monitors are seldom brighter than 400 NITS.  Don't be
fooled by what you see in shops!

Reagan Cole, PhD
Exhibits Engineer
North Carolina Museum of Life and Science
433 W. Murray Ave.
Durham, NC 27704
Voice: (919) 220-5429 Ext. 371
Fax: (919) 220 9639