ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mairy Swim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:14:53 -0500

The Educators' Resource Center (ERC) at Science Central is a special
research facility designed to provide educators and learners with hands-on
science materials.  It is also a repository for NASA information and
curriculum for pre-school through the university level, Great Explorations
in Math and Science (GEMS) and it contains valuable background material.
The center is available to serve educators and learners from northwestern
Ohio, southern Michigan and northern Indiana.
        Adults and adult supervised children with pre-arranged appointments
are welcome to use the center at no cost.  The facility is not designed for
group use.
        The NASA collection includes videotapes, posters, color slides,
fact sheets, curriculum, CD's, laser disks and filmstrips that are both
educational and entertaining.  Many of these materials may be duplicated on
site.  A photocopy machine is available at a dime per copy for public-domain
materials.
        Copies may also be made of the videotape programs.  Please bring
high quality, new VCR tapes.  There is no cost for videotape duplication,
but visitors are asked to schedule an appointment to use this equipment.
The tape duplication process may take two to four hours.

        A computer workstation with access to NASA's Spacelink and the
internet is also available in the ERC.  NASA has furnished the Educators'
Resource Center with a variety of exciting public-domain software to enhance
the classroom experience.  All of these materials are for reference and in
some cases may be duplicated.
        GEMS is a growing national resource for the advancement of
activity-based science and mathematics.  GEMS resources are developed at the
Lawrence Hall of Science at the University of California, Berkely, then
extensively tested nationwide and modified for classroom use.  GEMS includes
more than 50 teachers' guides and handbooks for preschool through 10th grade
which can be used to supplement curriculum.  GEMS guides make it possible
for educators to teach the key science and math concepts called for by the
National Science Education Standards and they feature step by step
instructions using easily obtained and inexpensive materials.
        Our GEMS collection includes all available Teachers' Guides and
Handbooks.  Several kits will be available soon.

        A collection of science resource books, science literatur, DVD's,
CDs, professional journals, and hands-on non-consumables may be borrowed for
from our ERC by educators and pre-service teachers for a two week loan
period.

Mairy Swim
Special Programs Manager/ERC Coordinator
Science Central
1950 North Clinton Street
Fort Wayne, IN  46805
(260) 424-2400 Ext. 417