ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ellen Giusti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:01:48 -0800

Hi Beryl,

2 thoughts on your scale approach. 1) the middle choice you offer, ³neither
helped nor confused me,² is not the ³neutral² between did not help me and
helped me. You are introducing confused me, which is not necessarily the
opposite of helped me‹as you point out in your follow-up question. 2) as you
say, you won¹t be able to tell if people who ³check did not help² were
confused or already knew all about the topic. You can ask respondents to
indicate how much knowledge they have on the topic, on another sliding
scale. Then sort the ³help/not help² responses by background knowledge, or
run a correlation test on the responses.

Hope this helps.
--
Ellen Giusti
Museum Visitor Studies Consultant