ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:06:02 -0500

I have a couple of evaluation projects with middle school students. The
ideas of exploration, investigation, missions, and adventures appears to
punch their buttons. Also, since developmentally they are at a very social
age, ideas that hook into the opportunity to do things with friends is
appealing: working with teams, working with friends, and group-based
activities. Doing anything "with my friends" connects. Pop culture
references (e.g. forensic TV shows, music, IMing) connects pretty quickly
too.

So, if I could design a perfect middle school camp it might be something
like:

Crime Science Digital Video Production Studio Adventure--IM your friends to
join you for this hot ticket event during winter break. You and your friends
will conduct and document with digital video several realistic simulated
(and really revolting!) autoposies (with simulated insects) and move onto
fingerprint, DNA, hair, and make up analysis of recording artists, sports
superstars, and supermodels. Final videos, synchronized to your favorite
music, will be shared on YouTube. Open to the first 50 middle school
students who register here in the next 15 minutes.

Okay, I couldn't resist. But they are so "with it!" And so awesomely
enthusiastic! :-)

Carey

Carey E. Tisdal
Tisdal Consulting