HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:25:46 -0600
Hi, Ron -

"Where are the Historians?" you ask.

Well, I've done my bit in trying to create a bridge between History and
Historical Arch. (I've certainly preached about it enough on this list!)
I've organized and chaired interdisciplinary sessions at the SHA and the
WHA.  The old dogs don't attend them, but at least some younger pups did,
and who knows where they will head, eventually.

There was even a time about 12 years ago when I volunteered to serve on the
SHA curriculum committee.  At one meeting I had the affrontry to suggest
that for the typical 30-credit MA in HA, that the student should be
required to take 6-9 credits in History.  My, gosh, you would have thought
that I had called the Pope an atheist  commie-pinko, so loudly was I
shouted down!!  No, NO!!  We need the four fields of anthro to ordain an
HA!!  I have yet to see a CRM report on a historic cite that cited any
grounds from linguistics or feminist theory.

So, I have esentially retired from the lists.  Obvioulsy, I am much in the
wrong about all this interdisciplinary stuff.

Like I said before, if ya want to sell a car you have to go to the where
your customers might be and show them why they need to buy it.

Its really hot here in Denver.  I'd like to go to the beach!

;o)

Carl,

 I used to regularly deliver papers and tried to publish once a year until
I retired in 1998. San Diego State University published my Spanish fort
work last year. I have a paper in the works for Albuquerque and a major
manuscript on the Euro-American whaling and Chinese fishing camp at Ballast
Point in progress at this time. But, where are the historians?

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.