ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:39:07 -0700
8bit
From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
To: CHILDMUS - A Forum for Childrens Museum Professionals <[log in to unmask]>

Hello Alisa,

I noticed your posting and I thought I would throw in a few comments
that you might not otherwise hear. I can't really respond to your
specific questions, but felt a need to speak to some points suggested in
your note.

Firstly, I think, in the 'informal' world the visitor is the primary
educator. We can provide tools for learning, props, but it is the
visitors that learn. This is so often missed in the rhetoric we now use.
As soon we move toward facilitation - whether it be in a program or a
workshop, we step toward the world of 'formal' education, though mostly,
because there is no formal organization, it is still considered
'informal.' Even when an 'explainer' follows a scripted answer, rather
than engaging in a true conversation with a visitors, the world of
'informal' is left behind. We should also remember that it is in the
very nature of 'informal education' that most of what visitors 'learn'
is completely unknowable, untestable, un-surveyable. This is partly the
allure to visitors for these kinds of places, the surprise of discovery,
the unexpected thing that will strike a spark. That can't be scripted.
Sometimes it is a simple little thing like the poetry of Pi or as
profound as one's self, in subtle ways, that cannot be articulated.

There has been a movement in recent years to bring these museums more
and more in line with state education guidelines, or to show in some way
how they help reach certain education goals. Unfortunately, this
movement largely quashes out the joy of discovery and the hope for
surprise that so many visitors unknowingly come to museums to find.
Making museums outcome based, making them feel more like an extension of
formal learning is, in my opinion, the surest way to insure their
eventual failure.

Luckily, despite all our efforts to 'teach,' visitors continually find
ways to 'learn' unintended things all on their own. They experiment and
explore, they use an exhibit 'wrong' and make magical discoveries that
no one could anticipate. It is this basic curiosity that most of us
still have alive in us, that keep museums going.

Good luck in your survey

Joe Ruggiero

--
ÐÏࡱá