ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mik Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:22:53 EST

Phil,

I have been presenting my traveling science show Blazing Science around the
world for about five years in venues large and small.   I use live flame on
stage but I do not allow audience interaction around me, especially with
students, while there is live flame on my demo table.   Audience members are
unpredictable, yes ... even adults ... so I remain very cautious at all times.   I
never use a flame bigger than I can immediately extinguish and my show also has a
very strong fire safety message for both kids and adults.

If you want some audience interaction, consider things that don't include
live flame.   I sometimes do a Stop, Drop and Roll demo with an adult from the
audience and everyone loves that, especially as we explain the science behind
it.   The main things are; be very careful, practice your demos a lot with a
buddy and keep your safety message strong.   I am happy to say that I have never
had a Fire Marshall or Fire Safety Professional ever refuse to let me perform
Blazing Science.   Good luck!

Mik Jacobs
Mik Jacobs, Inc. Science Shows
Post Office Box 3120