ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Robert M. Ross" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 11:58:42 -0400

Ann,

The Museum of the Earth at the Paleontological Research Institution
displays the "Hyde Park mastodon," excavated in 2000 and the subject a
Discovery Channel documentary called "Mastodon in your backyard." A
hands-on part has included the "Mastodon Matrix Project," in which
participants recover small fossils from sediment that was collected at the
site, to help inventory fauna and flora associated with the mastodon. We
have implemented that project in a number of different ways (some of which
work better than others!). We are still in the process of collecting
materials out of the sediment from this site.

An early paper on a beta version of the mastodon matrix project (using
materials from a 1999 excavation) that went out to schools and other groups
is at http://www.nagt.org/files/nagt/jge/abstracts/Ross_v51n1p39.pdf.

Rob Ross

Robert M. Ross
Director of Education
Paleontological Research Institution and Museum of the Earth
1259 Trumansburg Road
Ithaca, NY 14850

607 273 6623 x18 (voice)
607 273 6620 (FAX)