Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2006 19:23:16 +0200
Hi all,
Theoretically it would seem that even a large nipple shield would present a
challenge to this baby,
but somehow, sometimes, shields just work. It isn't always cut and dried
that it is indeed the large nipple that is preventing successful latch. I
find that not everything works with every mom, and likewise with different
solutions. I would also try a shield first, just in case it would work for
whatever reason. Pumping and giving a bottle seem to be the last resort
IMHO, because pumping in itself is daunting for a new mom, and we all know
what can sometimes happen as a result of bottle use. The shield is still
closer to nature than the bottle, as far as baby's activity at the breast,
the amount taken in, and of course the rate of intake.
The shield, constant followup and weight checks to ensure sufficient intake
and the baby's natural growth might very well take care of the problem.
Somehow I also think that from the mom's perspective, this boosts her morale
and confidence more than turning to pumping and the bottles.

Ellen Shein,
IBCLC LLLI
Tel Aviv - and for those of you who missed my weather reports - still sunny
and gorgeous here in the Middle East!!