From:
Renata Oliveira Mangrum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:35:50 -0500
First, let me introduce myself. My name is Renata Mangrum, I am a stay at
home mom of 3 and a Registered dietitian. I joined this list because I am
interested in becoming a lactation counselor (ultimately the IBCLC), but not
sure how to start yet. I am enjoying the activity from this group and have
learned a lot already.

Now for protein sources... dairy, soy and eggs are such convenient protein
sources, it is hard to think of alternatives at times, but here are some
suggestions:

If nuts are safe, she could have some as a quick snack. Sunflower seeds are
also a good source without the high allergenicity.

Hummus is a quick and easy protein source. It is a dip made from
chickpeas/garbanzo beans and tahini (sesame seed paste). If buying ready
made, check the ingredients first. It is also very simple to make, although
the tahini may be difficult to find in certain areas. I have a friend who
uses sesame oil instead, but the tahini will complement the protein in the
chickpeas/garbanzo beans. Another friend has made her own tahini by grinding
sesame seeds in a coffee grinder. There are plenty of recipes available
online.

Also, don't forget the old reliable beans for protein. Soaking them in water
and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice for 12-24 hrs significantly reduced the
gassiness  for our family :-) After they are soaked, I either put them on a
tray in a single layer and freeze them (when frozen put them in a bag), or
cooking. Full details can be found at Large Family Logistics:
http://largefamilylogistics.lifewithchrist.org/permalink/23353

There is a great cookbook out for allergy free cooking called the Whole
Foods Allergy Cookbook. The author also has a blog (with information about
the cookbook there too). There are a lot of good recipes in there, although
some are quite involved. Still, it is a great resource.
http://www.allergycookbook.blogspot.com/

I also have a friend whose daughter has eczema. She had to eliminate a lot
of things. She has been a great inspiration to me for enduring and
overcoming these difficulties. Her daughter just turned a year old last
week, and is doing great. In addition to the elimination diet, she also
tried unconventional (not evidence based) treatments such as coconut oil and
probiotics. I will see if she can write me her story to share with you all.

Just wondering, has anyone been on an elimination diet before? I went on one
last October because I suspected my daughter could have some sensitivities.
I did some journaling about it and hope to post in on my own blog (still not
up yet) someday. It was a very valuable experience.

Hope this helps,

Renata Mangrum, MPH, RD.