ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:19:59 EDT

I don't see why it is the role of the science museum community to protest  to
the NEA about the content of an exhibit at their convention. Exhibits at
education conventions often uphold beliefs that are one sided. For example,
mining consortiums often exhibit at science education conventions about the
benefits of strip mining and how little environmental impact these activities  have
on the environment. As someone with a degree in Environmental Studies, I
know their information omits evidence on the other side of the issue. I have the
choice of entering the booth or not. I often do pick up their materials
because  they have good materials on geology and it keeps me up to date on  the
current arguments they are using to support what I perceive as  environmentally
destructive activities.

Michael Crichton recently wrote a book called "State of Fear" in which he
attacks the notion of global warning. Do we go after book sellers because they
sell the book? Should we examine the list of exhibitors at the NEA conference
to  make certain that there isn't one run by the scientists that do not
support  global warning?

I believe that the people in attendance at the NEA conference are just as
knowledgeable and informed as we are. I'm sure that the NEA conference also has
many booths that support evolution. Some of the people who enter the AiG
booth may be influenced by the religious stand. Others may be gathering
information to use against creationism. Some people may need to pick up the info  becau
se their state currently requires the teaching of creationism along with
evolution.

This strikes me as a free speech issue. The audience is comprised of
knowledgeable adults. Let them decide for themselves.

Jeannine Finton
Education Consultant