ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert M Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:41:32 -0400

In the fall of 2001 the Paleontological Research Institution was
gifted the central diorama from the very successful amber exhibition
hosted by the American Museum of Natural History in 1999 ( Amber:
Window to the Past).  The 17 foot diameter diorama recreates a
Miocene forest in beautiful detail, down to the level of tree bark
modeled from molds obtained from the bark of living Costa Rican
Hymenaea ( the genus of trees that produced this amber).  It was the
original intention of our institution to install the exhibition
within our facility.  An imminent storage crunch is forcing us to
relinquish this fantastic exhibit.  Anyone who thinks they may be
interested in the exhibition for their institution please contact me
off the listserv and I will be happy to provide more details.

Sarah Chicone
--
Sarah J. Chicone, Ph.D.
Director of Exhibits