From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:22:32 -0800
Karl Miller writes from Austin:

>Then there is our local NPR station which has lost just about all
>of its personality and now has a station manager who is paid a six
>figure salary.

Karl, has put his fingers on the two sides of what happened to "public"
radio.  Some years ago, (was it in the 1980s or the 90s?) a passion to
"professionalize" mysteriously swept through public and non-commercial
radio.  Professionalism meant exactly what Karl pointed to, with the
elimination of classical music from most stations as a secondary symptom.
The interesting question, to me, is how the corporate way of doing things
somehow takes over supposedly non-corporate entities.  Is it like a
computer virus?

No cheers,

Jon Gallant
Department of Gnome Sciences