From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:54:15 +0000
I guess this is my third post, but I wanted to brainstorm a little because this is just such a sad situation. Even though I have no firsthand knowledge of this, I believe this is happening in Mississippi where we have many immigrants working in farming and poultry business. These are difficult and unsanitary working conditions.
First, there should be emphasis on breastfeeding and breastmilk feeding for as long as possible and for as many feeds in a day as possible. Perhaps you can find a few mothers in the culture who can be "peer counselors" of a sort to get the word out. What radio stations or TV (if they have these) do they listen to? Perhaps some public health messages. Is there a newspaper or other media they look to? Do they have family gatherings or an elder who could give a message at regular intervals? Do they use the local ER? Then perhaps there should be something given to them or told to them in their language each time a parent visits the ER. Remember literacy levels may be low or there may be many illiterate members of the community.
If they are using formula, then the message has to go out about proper mixing and consequences of not doing so, and sanitary preparation. Again one must look to a trusted person(s) in their community or media outlet or other healthcare provider they use. I hope some of these ideas will help in some way.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
Mississippi, s.e. USA