From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 16:31:45 +0800
Penny writes:
>Yes, we have tried numerous positions in effort to make baby feel
>more in control of his airway.  These have not offered any
>assistance.  Her let-down is quite aggressive and as I mentioned
>continues with this force throughout the feeding.  Eliminating the
>first few minutes, through either hand expression or pumping, has
>not been helpful to her.  Poor guy... gulps the entire feeding
>without ceasing, except when he is biting her.  Thanks, Michelle,
>for the suggestion!

Penny, I am always concerned about these sorts of situations for what
might happen in a few months' time (quite apart from the present
difficulties), when you often see 'stage 2' of the over-active
let-down reflex problem - baby has more control over his own body and
refuses to feed. (See article by Andrusiak & Larose-Kuzenko on this
in the original LLLI Lactation Consultant Series.) For this reason, I
think it is really important to control this now and make feeding
pleasant for the baby or the whole breastfeeding relationship could
be in jeopardy by 3-4 months.

Am I right is assuming that this is also an *oversupply* situation?
If so, have you considered trying sage to reduce it? Three times a
day, put a quarter of a teaspoon of culinary sage in the corner of a
peanut butter sandwich. Take a bite of that corner, swallow as soon
as possible, wash it down with some juice and eat the rest of the
sandwich. Or use capsules of sage. This info is originally from Pat
Gima. Parsley and peppermint are also anti-galactogogues.

Does this mother have any hormonal issues that could be exacerbating
this problem? I am not sure if they can treat these even if they are
present though. I had a client once with chronic oversupply during
all 3 of her lactations. She also had other indicators of abnormal
hormone levels. She ended up struggling through using a nipple shield
to slow the flow enough for her babies to handle, and quit at about 6
months with each.