ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jeff courtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:08:47 -0600

Joe:  do you mean to say it's a waste of time, a waste of our institutions'
time, to use our brains to look at some of the edges of the envelope of what
science centers and other informal institutions might be doing?  That such
discussions, while not directly applicable now, won't provide a seed that
bears fruit in the next 5 years?

That some (not me) might be able to put together a well crafted, cogent
argument in minutes?

That, rather than take a long lunch, I might be interested in typing?  Or
rather than chat with coworkers for a few minutes around the coffee pot?

That there are a lot of institutions who could do better in their offerings
should be no surprise - name any field that has an excess of innovators and
risk takers.  Does the fact that institutions which don't constantly find
either incremental or exponential improvement, whatever those may be, lessen
their/our value to the communities in which we try our darndest?

That those in the field with years of experience, including you, shouldn't
waste time participating in a process of discussing topics, proasic or
relevatory, concrete or philosophic, which may even influence or help shape
those who may be new to the field, and may be struggling with the same
question of, 'what the hell is it I am really trying to do?" that you and I,
at least I, struggled with years ago, even if they are from institutions
which are full of high concepts and slightly short on substance?

It is hard to tell in an email when we are joking and when we aren't.  I
hope you see my tongue is firmly placed at least half-way in my cheek, as I
think yours was.....oops, times up.....

Jeff Courtman
Director of Exhibits
251.208.6851