ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ellen Giusti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 10:38:17 -0800

Jim,

I worked as evaluator at the American Museum of Natural History for 12+
years. They charge for special exhibitions, but do not when there is a
presumed public health issue involved, e.g., "Epidemic: the World of
Infectious Disease" and "The Genomic Revolution." You are a Health museum, I
see on your signature.

I found that when there is an upcharge, people who are not sure they will be
interested in the topic will stay away. So you don't reach people who might
take a chance on a free exhibit and pop in and then find they are really
interested. And, visitors stay much longer because you only attract the
really committed people. So if you are doing timed ticketing, you will need
to keep that in mind.

--
Ellen Giusti
Museum Consultant