ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rebekah Stendahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:06:37 -0400

I would like to redevelop our evaluations for our adult-child programs.

At this point I have two different types of evaluations.

1. For the classes for children under 5, I ask the adults all the questions about the program but I try to get them to think about what their child experienced. Among other questions I ask "What did your child seem to like best about the class?" and "What did your child say about the program? Has your child mentioned the topic of the class at any time since the program?"

2. For the classes for children over 5, I have two evaluations for the parent and child to fill out together.  The evaluation for the adult asks them to comment on what they liked best but also think about what their child seemed to enjoy.  I then have a second evaluation for the child to fill out which uses smile/frown faces to evaluate how they felt about the class. It also asks them questions like what their favorite project was from the program.

What I hope to learn from these evaluations is what sort of lasting impression the program leaves on the participants-- both adults and children.  I feel like my current evaluations are somewhat successful but I now really want to get at the parent's experience as well--- and not just in relation to their child.  I see these programs as a way to reach adults whom we might not otherwise reach- so I want to start focusing more on the education of both participants rather than just the child.

Does anyone have any evaluations, questionnaires or survey formats or questions that they would recommend?

Thanks

Rebekah Stendahl
Supervisor of Family Programs
New England Aquarium