HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2007 15:56:13 -0400
Makes me happy as the "chocolate pot" I bought in their donation
bric-a-brac shop and a cloth take-out bag when before "SUV" we rented
from the Canada leaser to geological survey some of their 4-wheel
drive vehicles for an archaeological survey along the St. Lawrence
Seaway, nearby. Some of the "eminent domain" properties for the Seaway
construction (a federal agency now headquartered in the Union Hotel in
Sacketts Harbor part of a New York State Urban Cultural Park, in the
news recently for a part of an 1812 fort found, probably in the big
"retirement community reuse" of historical property. Much of it,
"birthplace of the US Navy" (nearby Watertown, and Fort Drum, NY, and
in it Dr. Guthrie's ether, Zebulon Pike's "grave" noted history) was
once placed (federally, mostly fallen down wooden structures) on the
lake ice in winter and lays offshore on the bottom of Lake Ontario).
On a small crew with "Archaeology" magazine editor Angela Schuster, we
discovered an unmarked coffin near the surface of the "Parade Ground"
when another company had noted scattered human remains in some of
their shovel tests for the reuse of the Madison Barracks, where among
others, the future president of the U.S. Ulysses S. Grant served
first, fresh out of West Point Military Academy..

When I was there the Rideau Canal stepped locks were dry and being
restored. I heard you can ice skate around Ottawa partly because of
it. I had to sign and purchase a bond, that the Canadian vehicles were
not being used to take jobs away from Americans. Joke from Sacketts
Harbor: "What did one bone say to the other bone?" "Let's get up and
get some dinner across the river." Once the largest encampment in the
US (30-45,000?) The New York units refused to invade Canada.

George Myers