HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:58:17 -0400
Tim,

While I sympathize with throwing them in jail, confiscating their first
born, and selling their RV for looting archaeological sites, I might point out
that a federal judge threw out a case of pothunters stealing rock art in Nevada
because the law enforcement agents (and the archaeologist) could not
substantiate the value of the petroglyphs as greater than the $800 the  defendant's
expert witness placed on the items (due to chipping of the art  during the
theft). My point here is that if the law enforcement people do not  hear evidence
the looted artifacts are worth $5,000 or more (with proof and an
archaeologist willing to put a money value down), all we are going to get is the
equivalent of a traffic ticket at the looting site. I think the looters will  laugh
their fanny's off, as they slip back into the pit with their shovels and
pickaxes.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.