From:
Kirsten Berggren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:43:14 -0400
I'm not sure I understand why we need to supply pacifiers at all. Why
not ask the hospital gift shop to stock them, and then parents can go
down there and get one if they really want it?
I was discussing hospital culture change with our nurse-manager
yesterday, and we concluded that when you first make a change,
everyone is upset, and within a month or two, they forget the service
was ever there. That was our patient reaction to losing the baby
photographer, and another Vermont hospital presented last week at our
wonderful breastfeeding symposium (thanks to Audrey Naylor for gracing
us again with her presence) that once they fully closed their nursery,
they really don't have parents asking the babies to be taken away
anymore.

So - how about "there's no medical indication for a pacifier with your
baby, but you're free to bring in your own or purchase one at the gift
shop"...

Kirsten Berggren, PhD, CLC
workandpump.com and
Lintilhac Breastfeeding Clinic