Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 23:26:58 +0900
On 03/12/2006, at 22:12, Betsy Riedel,RNC,IBCLC wrote:

> I was particularly interested in finding the actual reference many
> of you
> mentioned about the WHO and the fact that there is/was a list of
> acceptable
> forms of infant nutrition and formula being either # 4 or 5 on that
> list.
>
> I have tried to find that actual statement on the WHO site, and
> ahve been
> unsuccessful.

The reference I'm aware of is from a WHO/UNICEF/UNESCO publication
"Facts For Life", and the whole publication is available here:
http://www.unicef.org/publications/files/pub_ffl_en.pdf

Page 48 (also available at http://www.unicef.org/ffl/04/6.htm )
includes this:

~~~
The best food for a baby who cannot be breastfed is milk expressed
from the mother’s breast or from another healthy mother. The
breastmilk should be given from a clean, open cup. Even newborn
babies can be fed with an open cup, which can be easily cleaned.

The best food for any baby whose own mother’s milk is not available
is the breastmilk of another healthy mother.

If breastmilk is not available, a nutritionally adequate breastmilk
substitute should be fed to the baby by cup. Infants who are fed
breastmilk substitutes are at greater risk of death and disease than
breastfed infants.

Feeding the baby breastmilk substitutes can cause poor growth or
illness if too much or too little water is added or the water is not
clean. It is important to boil and then cool the water and carefully
follow the directions for mixing breastmilk substitutes.

Animal's milk and infant formula go bad if left at room temperature
for a few hours. Breastmilk can be stored for up to eight hours at
room temperature without going bad. Keep it in a clean, covered
container.
~~~

Lara Hopkins