Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:14:37 -0500
You can add me to the list of believers that infants (and probably all ages)
should optimally be having at least one stool per day.

I know many breastfed babies do not stool daily after 4 weeks of age, but I
do believe that is probably a sign of some sort of problem...whether it is
low thyroid or a food sensitivity.  But I have the conversation with mothers
all the time about whether it is "worth it" for them to drastically change
their diest for a daily stool if that is their baby's only symptom.  Right
now I do not have the data to suggest it is.  But I have seen so many fussy
and or gassy and or spitting up babies who are having infrequent stools, and
once the offending food is removed from moms diet they start pooping at
least daily again.

Kathy Leeper, MD, IBCLC
MilkWorks- Lincoln, NE

The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore,
if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading
it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable
privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of
the author.