From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 00:33:17 -0400
Hello All,
Many on the list from Missouri know I attend many fruit grower meetings
around the state to advise on beekeeping problems.
About five years ago I attended a meeting in Springfield , Missouri and we
toured a large apple orchard ran by a medical doctor and his wife.
The doctor ( I can't recall his name but can get his name from the Missouri
ext. if needed) gave an excellent talk on pesticides and apples.
He quoted quite   a bit of research about residual effect of most sprays.
The health hazard was almost non existant for the consumer and if the apple
was peeled even less.
The person most likely effected long term was by far the pesticide
applicator.
The doctor showed us his John Deere tractor with full cab, AC and a special
air intake which made the complete interior safe from the chemicals.
He said it should be made manditory for all people using pesticides on
apples use the equipment when spraying.

Now we can split hairs over zero tollerance for sprays which is fine but
most people do not want to buy an unwaxed apple with a possible worm
inside. I know as I have put thousands of bushels on the compost pile.

Most people do not want to pay the high price growers require to produce
fruit without sprays. I do the largest farmers market in six states and
know what I am talking about!

My IPM methods:

I use one to two sprays on my apples depending on pests. I cut spectricide
with 50% water( you can always use less of a products label but never a
higher amount and be legal).

Spectricide label says fruit can be ate the next day after spraying (
unlike others which the label says 14 days).

I spray the first spray after pedal drop. If not successful about one out
of four years I do another in 10 days.

I never use another spray and harvest is FIVE months later. I put up with
leaf disease and cut out fire blight.

I TELL all my customers what I have done. The spray used and the amount.
I get usually 90% sellable apples.

The above is the result of over 30 years growing apples.

Happy apple growing.

And by the way five months later my friend with the serious pesticide
issues can hold one of my IPM apples without a problem.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison