HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 00:31:21 -0400
Thanks for the info, my info is dated for New York State and the
comparison I was alluding to, by Ezra Zubrow, I remember was a
statistical comparison of east-west differences in archaeological
survey. One was the surface walk over, in the east 2 or 4 would walk
down the furrows of a field, "out west" 3 would walk and one would
zig-zag behind the 3. Other info was analyzed, i.e. average size of
the survey, costs per acre etc., sort of "raw" analyses. That
certainly sounds great for analysis! I have that feeling too sometimes
that the research hasn't been completed, before the work.

The research and other factors get very complicated in urban settings,
especially back around the time those German tourists died in the
Concorde crash in France on their way over here to be tourists in
America. I could research the torn down empty lots but not some of the
buildings now since torn down next to one another that perhaps were
the "Steuben House" (for returning Civil War veterans and prior the
National Guard called out to defend Washington, D.C.) and "Germania
Hall" where a now National Register house owner from Troy, NY, sitting
next to Susan B. Anthony, was the first woman elected to a union. She
had organized the white collar workers who washed and ironed the newly
invented detachable men's collar. It's listed simply in a new history
of gotham as simply a "bowling alley".

Complicating the situation was that later "Steuben House" was known as
the notorious "McGurk's Suicide Bar" where some women in the oldest
profession had poisoned themselves, and in it were artists and noted
feminist Kate Millet, an Oxford grad feminist and the people there
trying to save some of the old buildings in the Bowery, once NYC's
theater district before it moved up to Broadway, leaving the Yiddish
Theater which was sort of destroyed in subway expansion, though by
then pretty run down on NYC's Houston St. ("Howston" we still say
after the Scottish merchant). The older records, like phonebooks are
listed by name one year another listed by address, making it hard to
compare the lot "chain of title" owners with the residents. But with
IT there's more and more info, like indexed photos of every building
at one time in NYC, and other info that's a little easier to get to
than I imagine my grandfather a real estate reporter working in the
"Hall of Records" during the Great Depression. His son, with polio in
a wheelchair, died in an elevator accident there just before my father
was to ship out in WWII to Italy. They've fairly recently fixed up the
elevators there under the federal disabilities act to be more
handicapped accessible.

George Myers