From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:47:56 +0000
Ray Bayles writes:

>I think selection is the major complaint in local stores from California to
>DC...

I'ts definitely my major complaint here in Albuquerque.  The local
Borders used to have a fine classical music selection: all Naxos releases
and a host of recordings from the independent companies.  All that has
now changed.  Many new Naxos recordings never hit the store, and independent
company releases are dwindling.  Actually, the entire stock of classical
music has taken a nose-dive with most of the shelves either sparsely
populated or empty.  I expect that the space allocated for classical
music will soon be cut in half, and I am not a happy camper.

So many times I have tried to impress on the store managers that my
once yearly spending of many thousands of dollars per year is now down
to about two-hundred bucks per annum.  I always get the same answer -
"Those decisions are made at higher levels, but I will pass on your
concerns".  As far as I can tell, everyone for Borders is taking a pass
on my concerns.

As an example of poor inventory, the sole Bach Well Tempered Clavier
recording currently in the store is Book II from the pathetic hands
of Daniel Barenboim who is entirely lost in this repertoire.  As Ray
mentioned, our only salvation is to buy on the internet.  That's fine,
but it doesn't satisfy my insatiable desire for instant gratification.

It all seems to be a catch-22 situation.  Stores aren't pleased with
classical sales, so they downgrade the inventory.  That leads to customers
going elsewhere which leads to more reductions in sales which leads to
more customers finding other sources.  At this rate, the only thing left
will be "The Browns", whoever they might be.

Sorry, I'm on a negative roll and need my wife Ellen Jane to intercede
and tell me to stop whining and move on.  She'll be home soon and will
undoubtedly inform me that I have enough recordings to fill the Grand
Canyon.  One thing for sure, I have more classical cds than Borders.

Don Satz