From:
Leslie Stern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:33:59 -0400
One of the things I used to tell moms in a very low income area
in Brooklyn (where the breastfeeding rate was abysmal) was
"Could you use an extra $1500?  That's about how much it
costs to bottle feed a baby for a year!"  :)

Unfortunately, if someone really doesn't want to nurse, and they
don't have a good support system in place, you'll have a difficult
time (but not impossible) changing their mind.  I think there is
something
about being in America that is not congruent with nursing (in certain
populations).  For example, this population I am referring to, were
largely
from Jamaica, where most women nurse their babies.  Their mothers
nursed them, and their grandmothers nursed their moms etc.  The chain
somehow broke when they moved here and many women didn't want to
nurse because they thought their babies were "greedy" and they "wanted
their lives back."  My heart wept for those babies.  I could get into
the whole
question of why they are even having babies, but that is a whole other
ball of wax.

Leslie Stern CNM, IBCLC
Infant Sign Language Instructor
www.hand2handsigns.com