From:
Margo Trueman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2006 13:14:57 -0700
<<I think it would be great to have a group pumping room for NICU  mothers>>

When I was at LLUCH with my first in the NICU it was like this.   There were
usually three or four of us in there at a time.  We would share our stories,
encourage each other, cry together.  It was like a 20 minute support meeting
eight times a day for me.  It was great when I went to pump for the first
time and I didn't have a clue how to connect everything.  A mom just
finishing up her pumping session showed me where to plug everything in and
how to adjust the speed & suction on the pump and later in that same session
when I was in tears b/c there was nothing coming out, another mom assured me
that I would make something and that it was ok if I didn't get anything the
first few times I pumped, especially since my son was still NPO for another
24 hours, I had time.  That same mother was in the room next pumping session
when a couple of little drops came out and I was crying again b/c I was so
relieved.  While some mothers might prefer a private room if they aren't
comfortable baring their breasts in front of others (unlike nursing, it's
downright impossible to double-pump discreetly unless you throw a blanket
over yourself, the chair you're sitting in and the pump LOL), I think most
would benefit from a group pumping situation b/c you do end up talking and
supporting each other and for me, with one mum, praying together for our
previous babies.

Margo
Proud Canadian
Mummy to Liam, Ceilidh & Rhiannon