ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ian Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 07:45:09 +0100

I mean no offence to scientists who are christian, creationism and ID are
lousy theology as well as lousy science, the Archbishop of Canterbury has
repudiated them as "category errors" while the Vatican has gone further and
described them as "heresy" because they turn God into some kind of nature
spirit. To work these ideas need either a "God of the Gaps" and/or an
interventionist God, neither of which actually sit well with the Bible I am
told. It is easy enough to square evolutionary science with the Bible, as,
say Teillard de Chardin did, and, most recently, Joan Roughgarden in her
book Evolution and the Christian Faith, should one need to.

Now, I agree list is not a place for arguing about politics and religion,
but I think it is certainly useful to talk here about how, as science
communicators, we might go about addressing issues that involve these, and
ID etc is definitely one of these - the attack on evolution is part of a
larger and exceedingly well funded political attack on liberal democracy by
people who profoundly desire its replacement by what is essentially
theocracy (Google "Wedge Strategy"). With regard to the bias point and just
saying this is "interesting", this kind of implies that as science
communicators we should occupy a neutral position in this argument and allow
each side to put its case equally for our audience or someone other than us
to judge. I think that we are failing our audience if we do this - these
ideas are not science, they do not make testable hypotheses, and while
relying heavily on claims that elements of organisms are designed, cannot or
will not set out objective, measurable criteria for what constitutues design
and we should be unequivocable in our opposition to such things being
presented as science, and I do not think that constitutes bias. This kind of
museum is a direct attack on who we as science communicators are and what we
do, and is meant as such. If we do not take unequivocable positions against
it we will simply lose the battle for the hearts, minds and wallets of the
public as creationists et al will happily exploit the liberal willingness to
be fair to all to push their agenda (teach the controversy) but were the
boot on the other foot would not accord us the same courtesey. Intelligent
Design can be shown to be manipulative politically-motivated lies and I am
quite happy to say so.

IAN SIMMONS