ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:22:08 -0500

Dustin;

Though I sent you some materials off line and I know you have the
ASTC dimensions issue I thought I'd say some more and perhaps
stimulate some discussion.

I suspect there would more push back from visitors if STC's presented
more exhibitions explicitly on evolution or on human evolution.
Public surveys, and exhibition evaluation, seem to suggest that a lot
of people are more accepting of evolution of smaller organisms like
bacteria and diatoms and viruses (eg work of Judy diamond and her
colleagues; Speigel et al in Museums and Public Understanding of
Evolution in Museums and Social Issues, 1:1, 2006)), and draw the
line at human evolution. And that is where the strongest objections I
think would occur. Now many natural history museums have exhibitions
on human evolution (eg the American Musuem of Natural History just
opened a new Hall of Human Origins for a review see
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/reprint/315/5818/1499.pdf pages 2 on)
but I suspect that AMNH is not getting a lot, if any complaints,
about the exhibition. They seemed to have had very few about the
Darwin exhibition. Previous studies by Ellen Giusti suggest that
there are not a lot of visitors that are staunch or outspoken
creationists to AMNH (certainly no one is running creationists tours
to their exhibitions, at least not yet). Other institutions (eg
Denver Museum of Nature and Science has had creationists tours as a
protest against their evolution exhibition for quite a while and The
Museum of the Earth, in Ithaca, home of Cornell University, had
difficulties after they opened; creationists verbally "attacking"
docents and education staff) have had confrontations. Natural history
museums perhaps have not had a lot of protests because of the nature
of their audience. But I recall hearing of difficulties in Kansas a
few years back and i know that there are museums that will not touch
evolution with a ten foot pole because of concerns about visitor
reaction.

I wonder if the Cincinnati museum of natural history will have more
complaints once the creationist museum, being developed by Awareness
in Genesis, opens later this year across the Ohio River later this
year. I am suggesting that perhaps creationists will be embolden by
the displays suggesting that the Earth is only 6,000 years old in
this Creationist Museum.

We have had an exhibition on the shared chemistry of living things
with no protests (except perhaps about its content density) but I
suspect it is to subtle for overt protests by creationists. Also,
like the Exploratorium's (Charley's) exhibition, Traits of Life, it
is not in your face evolution (human or other) .

Our survey of children's, natural history and science centers suggest
that there are underlying concerns about the controversy; that there
would be protests or fundors would be scared away. In addition, there
were concerns  about staff expertise and mission.  Our project Life
Changes is being developed to over come some of these.

If you cannot access the review in Science (you may need to be
registered) let me know and I'll send a pdf. As I will of the survey
I referenced.

Martin

--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D