ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ian Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 21:20:58 -0000

At Techniquest we've found indoor sand unspeakably evil - it has been a
massive pain to clear up and has a habit of insinuating itself into every
exhibit within reach, causing them all sorts of problems. It scratches
polycarb, paint and pretty much anything else, and parents panic when
toddlers eat it. The alternative of putting it outside is not practical with
Welsh weather, and even if it was, there's the cat problem. I really liked
Sausilito's gravel, though, it seemed to provide pretty much the same fun
level without the grief.

IAN SIMMONS

Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:31 PM
Subject: Re: Sand Play Areas

*

> Kids love to play in sand, but clean-up can be challenging, particularly
if
> it is near a carpeted area. Our vacuums sucked up the sand and then spit
it
> out the back...
>
>     "Children are our common wealth"
>
>              Peppy G. Linden
>             Executive Director
>       Virginia Discovery Museum
>                PO Box 1128
>        Charlottesville, VA 22902
>            (434) 977-1025
>            (434) 977-9681 (fax)

Centers
> > Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
> institutions.

> *
> >
> > I've been doing some looking into water play areas, and in a
presentation
> at
> > last year's ACM conference, came across this tidbit from the San Jose
> > Children's Discovery Museum (home of a slammin' water play area - I am
WAY