ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:43:06 -0500

Andy;

Funny you should ask that question. We have begun two programs that
are aimed at our younger audience. The first is a research program
(just funded by NSF) to understand how to explain the biological
basis for evolution to children under 12 yo. There is research
(primarily done by Dr Margaret Evans at U of Michigan) that shows
that children can be prepared to understand evolution if the
developmental stages they go through in their cognitive development
is taken into account. We hope to translate that work into an
exhibition and programs for science centers to use in presenting
evolution. This maybe applicable to presenting complex science, in
general, in science centers by looking at children's cognitive
development in other areas eg mathematics. This would also be
applicable to other informal settings; like zoos, aquaria, botanical
gardens, natural history museums and nature centers.  If anyone wants
more information or references let me know.

  I'd be particularly interested if anyone has developed any programs
based upon an understanding of children's cognitive development

The second project is one to develop carts which our Explainers will
use to engage our family audiences in technology. Probably nothing
novel in the use of carts but we are specifically aiming at family
groups which at the Hall are composed of children average age 7 yo.
Anyone having experience, both positive and negative wish to share
experiences?

Martin

--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D