From:
Sandy Wesorick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 00:27:32 -0400
I am responding to the part of your post that asks about increasing milk
volume with pumping. I have been doing alot of thinking about this subject
because so many women ask how to increase the milk volume when they pump.
I always like to think of how animals and babies stimulate milk supply and
volume and I think one area we need to focus on is breast massage before
pumping. Babies hold their hands on the breast and kneed it as do kittens
(that's why cats kneed us!). I think this stimulates not only let down but
milk production during the feeding. When a mom pumps, she is often pumping
with what I call a "cold start", no stimulation. I am telling moms to not
only relax, but to do breast massage for several minutes prior to pumping.
When mom does the massage, she should visulize her baby's hands kneeding
the breast, and have a blanket or something with the babies scent. I have
seen women from other countries, Cuba for instantce, that do alot of
breast massage, even when they are not nursing. They seem to have a large
milk supply, however some of the supply seems to be from the special diet
they eat.

When doing massage during pumping or feeding, I like to apply compression
just behind the duct.

Just a thought. I would love to hear what other lactneters have to say
also as I am updating my pumping handout.

Bless all of you in your work with new families,
Sandy Wesorick RN IBCLC
www.breastfeedingguide.com